Sunday, September 5, 2010

A sweet surprise guest...

In Ephesians 3:20 Paul says that God is able to do "immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine." This morning I received more than I could have asked or imagined. God gave me a wonderfully sweet surprise blessing.

I had already dressed and was ready for church and the rest of the family was getting ready. I had finished making tuna salad for lunch and had just started a pot of coffee to brew when I heard a knock at the gate. It was just before 8:00 and church doesn't start till 9:00. Some Sundays, Reina has sent a warm loaf of quesadilla (think of a sweet cornbread-like cake) to our family and I imagined that it was her or one of her children standing outside the gate. I slipped on my shoes and hurried to open the gate, imagining the sweet warm quesadilla that I was sure awaited me.

To my surprise, I opened the gate to find sweet little Selena waiting outside. Her beautiful big, expressive eyes twinkled and she smiled up at me. She was already in a dress for Sunday and told me that she was ready for church and thought that she'd come visit for a bit. She said she even already had her offering with her and eagerly held her hand up to show me her two dimes and explained that one was for her and one was for the offering. I asked where her mom was and she said she'd gone to go sell meat this morning and would be at church for services later. I asked if her mom knew she was here and was okay with it and she said yes, so I ushered her to our house.

I offered her a chair at the table and explained that the rest of the family was still getting dressed and would be out momentarily. (I popped my head in to their rooms to let them know we had company.) Selena and I began chatting as I poured her a cup of coffee. I knew she drank coffee because she'd had some here on Wednesday night. She informed me that her mom allows her to have sugar in it but that she's not supposed to have "too much" sugar in hers.

As she and I enjoyed a few minutes in the kitchen before the rest of the family came in, I just kept looking at her sweet face and thinking how much our family has fallen head over heels in love with her. She has such expression in her face and I've never seen her without a smile on her face and a twinkle in her eye.

We invited her to eat breakfast with us and at first she wanted to refuse but I insisted. She enjoyed her meal and was very proud to show all of us her offering she'd brought for church. I haven't been able to stop thinking all morning about how I went to the gate expecting to find a quesadilla but God had certainly given me a much sweeter and much greater blessing.

I took a quick picture of her this morning sitting at the table showing us her offering.
Aren't you glad we serve a God who blesses us beyond what we can ask or imagine? I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment